However, it is our feet that need the most care and attention what with carrying the weight of our body all day long. Pedicure refers to the professional way of feet care, provided in beauty salons by specialized pedicurists and can be quite expensive. Nevertheless, you do not need to worry about your feet care if you know and follow some simple steps that can help you replace your home to a perfect pedicure center. Although pedicures at home can be easily done alone, it is advisable to invite a group of friends (girls) to make your pedicure session cheap and fun-filled at the same time.
Before starting your pedicure you will need to visit a beauty supply or a drug store to get the materials required for the pedicure. These materials include an emery board, cuticle remover, cotton balls, dry skin buffer or a pumice stone, nail polish and remover, a quick dry spray and lotion. You would also need nail clippers, cuticle nippers, orangewood stick, a dish pan, towel and a pair of paper pedicure slippers.
Given below are some basic pedicure tips that will help you pamper and beautify your tired feet.
Steps to follow:
- Remove your old nail polish with a cotton ball after dipping it in the remover and moving it gently in a circular motion.
- Dip your feet in warm soapy water filled in the dish pan for minimum five minutes.
- Dry your feet one after another with the towel and after applying cuticle remover, wait for a minute till the cuticle gets softened. Push the cuticle back with the wedged end of the orange wood stick and carefully eliminate the excess cuticle. Alternatively, you can even trim your cuticles using the cuticle nippers. However, it is not advisable to trim cuticles unless you are experienced at it.
- Cut your nails with the nail clippers according to your preferred length but try to ensure that they are not longer than the toe. However, do not cut them too short which might lead to ingrown toenails. Once trimmed, file your nails to a squared shape with the emery board.
- Smoothen up the ridges and rough surface (if any) with the nail buffer.
- Gently rub the pumice stone on the dry areas or the flaking skin after getting it wet. Skin buffing sponges can also be a substitute of the pumice stone. Dry your feet after rinsing them.
- Massage your feet with a generous amount of foot lotion and let your feet absorb the lotion while you relax for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once again make use of the wet cotton balls dipped in remover to remove the lotion residue so that the polish can be applied properly on the nail surface.
- Apply two coats of nail color after applying a base coat and letting it dry for a minute. Give 5 minutes for the nail color to dry.
- Apply the final coat and spray the quick dry spray on your nails and leave it for one minute to dry.
Ideally the whole process takes around half an hour before you are ready to flaunt your beautiful and trendy feet.