Perhaps over the past century or so, nails have grown a lot of importance cosmetically. This is when manicuring came into prominence. Even today, a manicure is the weekly regimen of most men and women. After all, whether at work or socially, your hand and your smile are the first to be noticed by strangers, acquaintances and friends. So, why not put your best 'hand' forward for a handshake?
Have a manicure once a month by a professional manicurist because only he or she knows best how to keep your hands looking and feeling beautiful.
Your weekly nail care regimen:
- Restrict this to about 20 minutes each week in which you can begin by removing old nail polish with nail polish remover on a small swab of cotton. Press over the nail and pass it over the entire nail. Move from the base of the nail to the tip, until all the nail polish has been removed.
- Using an emery board or a nail file, shape the nail, filing away from the corner of the nail to the center.
- Soak your hands in warm, soapy water for a few minutes to remove all dirt. Now, clean under the edges of your nails with orangewood stick.
- Usually, people push the cuticle back at this stage, but it helps not to, as otherwise it spreads infection of the nail growing tissue.
- Now apply clear nail polish. Once it dries, apply a coat of color polish. Leave it to dry for a few minutes. Now, add a second coat of clear polish as a topcoat. With this, you can rest assured that your nail is strengthened and will not chip the polish.
- Lastly, apply a dollop of moisturizing cream or lotion to your hands and cuticles to stop your nails from splitting.
Nail care tips:
- Give yourself a manicure directly after a bath or doing the dishes as these activities help take away the dirt from below your nail.
- Use nail polish thinner to thin out nail polish that seems just a bit too thick. Increase the shelf life of your nail polish by storing it in the refrigerator.
- Use nail polish remover once a week as anything more will only make your nails dry out. If your nails are dry, they will crack and split quickly.
- By using a topcoat or sealer over your nail polish, your nail won't chip or crack. Use this every day for a week for extra nail protection.
If you follow the steps given above to do a manicure and bear the tips in mind, you're sure to have great hands and nails.